The Best Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Over Memorial Day weekend I decided to tackle a gardening project last minute. I DO NOT have a green thumb whatsoever, so I didn’t expect much. Well about a month later as I was watering the garden I noticed four giant zucchini were ready.. with a few more flowering. This past month I’ve been on the hunt to find all the best zucchini recipes, but they have to be toddler approved! I came across chocolate zucchini bread. It’s a simple recipe that is easy to make, and you can even bake them in little muffin tins instead of a loaf. What I like about this recipe is it uses whole wheat flour, unsweetened almond milk, ripe bananas, and of course chocolate chips!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link*
- 1 1/4 whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray nonstick cooking spray on the bottom and all around the sides of your loaf pan (or muffin liners if you are going that route).
- Shred your zucchini and squeeze out excess water with a towel or paper towel.
- In a medium bowl whisk whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl add melted coconut oil, egg, honey, vanilla, almond milk and whisk until well combined. Fold in zucchini, mashed banana, and chocolate chips.
- Slowly combine dry ingredients into the wet bowl.
- Spread into greased bread pan or muffin liners.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When baking try using mashed banana or applesauce in place of oils.
- Honey isn’t a refined sugar and keeps the bread nice and soft. Agave nectar and coconut sugar are another great substitute.
- Shredded zucchini gets veggies into your little ones without them realizing it. It also helps keep the bread moist.
- Replace white flour with whole wheat in order to add up to 10g heart healthy fiber.
My Amazon Favorites